Yukon Motel, Restaurant, and RV Park
Those of you who know me know that I do not like early mornings. On the road we have a compromise: I get up at 8:00 am and we pull out at 10:00 am. We travel very leisurely: we pull out at 10:00 am and almost never travel more than 200 miles. We prefer to drive closer to 130 miles/day. Today demonstrated why we move so slowly.
Our experience is that there are always mechanical “gotchas” of life on the road. As I am shutting down the inside of the rig (locking all the cabinet doors, putting away the moveable items, pulling in the slides, etc.) Robert closes down the outside items (disengage water, electrical and sewer connections, check the tire pressure) and together we hook up the truck to the rig. It typically takes us 30 minutes to shut all systems down and be ready to pull out. In the midst of this process this morning, Robert reported that we had an extremely low tire pressure on one of Snowflake’s (truck) tires. Mere humans cannot change a tire on Snowflake (the lug nuts are at 500 lb./foot). Robert set off to a local tire repair facility. Thus we were delayed in pulling out. Heck, I COULD have slept in. :-)
Luckily the tire repair facility found a 3+ inch nail and repaired poor Snowflake’s tire promptly. We were on the road again before noon.
Today’s drive took us across the continental divide at one of its lowest points. We followed along several pretty rivers and ultimately stopped at Teslin, a First People settlement of 450 people. We traveled only 160 miles today and were in place before 4:00 pm.
We’re camped at Yukon Motel, Restaurant, and RV Park. It’s a gravel RV park located behind the motel but the sites overlook a beautiful lake. This is the view out our back window.
While most of the year we want to be in place by 3:00 pm because we don’t like to set up in the dark, that is certainly not a problem here at this time. It is after 11:00 pm and I can see more than a half mile across the lake. I love the mid-night sun!
On the other hand, we’d really like to see the northern lights. It’s unlikely to see them during summer months, not because they do not occur, but rather because it is too light for us to see them. In 2008 we saw the lights twice in September on our way out of Alaska. We’re hoping for better luck this time.
The northern light prediction reports indicate that tonight “might” be a good time to see the lights, after it gets dark. (We’ll stay up to wait for the opportunity.) If we don’t see the northern lights between here and when we leave Whitehorse, I doubt if we will see them until September.
Wish us luck!
Leslie
1 comment:
Robert
Being the asstute person that I believe I am, I would after great study and examination declare it to be a nail. LOL
Thanks for taking us along on your trip. The wife and I have been enjoying it very much.
Larry B
Post a Comment