Robert - Sunday, May 30
Today was a travel day from Teslin, YT to Whitehorse, YT. The campground in Teslin is OK for an overnight stop. It has a pretty view of the lake but that is about all. I keep reading the northern lights forecast and Sunday was rated as more likely than any recent day. So I stayed up last night (actually this morning) to check them out. The sun set at 9:58 p.m. and rose at 3:39 a.m. I went out at 1:15 a.m. and it was still light. There were a few stars visible but not many and the sky was clear. The problem is that the sun just isn’t very far below the horizon. I gave up and went to bed.
The drive was uneventful. Other than a few rough spots, the road so far has been good. I laugh when I read posts on forums about what extra precautions are needed when driving the Alaska Highway. I have driven on many major roads in the lower 48 that are far, far worse. This is like driving on a good, paved two lane highway with wild animals standing on the shoulders. Of course, the worse is still to come as we still haven’t encountered any frost heaves. Frost heaves occur when the road is built on permafrost. The road cases short sections of the permafrost to melt and the road sinks 6-8 inches. Hitting one of these babies at 60 mph can loosen the fillings in your teeth.
We got to the campground in Whitehorse, checked in, and went immediately to the RV wash. The entire rig was covered with dust and grime from not being washed since Arizona. When we started for the site, we discovered there was an RV in it. I went to the office at the same time as the current occupant was walking in. He said he had tried to register for another day and no one was around so he didn’t get around to it until just them. The manager told him he had to move as the site he was in had been rented out by me. He protested that he was long–at least 50 feet long. I told him we were 60 feet long. He moved his rig to another site.
After we got set up, we walked to the restaurant next to the campground. It is one of the best restaurants we ate in on our trip to Alaska in 2008. It was still good. They offer Swiss, Itallian, and western food but the owners are Swiss and they have great wiener schnitzel.
After that we called it a day.
No comments:
Post a Comment