Saturday, May 22, 2010

Sikanni River, BC - Thank YOU!

Leslie, Saturday, May 22, 2010 at Sikanni River Campground
We left Dawson Creek, BC, Mile 0 of the Alaskan Highway, on Thursday, May 20, 2010.  We know that we are among the “early travelers” but nonetheless, the weather is cold and rainy.  We were headed only 125 miles north to Sikanni River.   Back in September 2008 as we drove the Alaskan Hwy south after most of the seasonal businesses had already closed, our 2007 Ford F350 died 2 miles south of this campground.  I walked back to the Sikanni River Campground to call for assistance.  Jackie and Wayne, the owners of Sikanni River Campground, were incredibly kind to me as I struggled with Good Sam Emergency Roadside Assistance and waiting many hours for the tow truck operator.  When we arrived on Thursday, Jackie welcomed us with, “where is “Leslie”?     While we love summering in Alaska for many reasons: the exceptional wildlife sightings, the spectacular beauty of the landscape, etc. – it is really the wonderful people we meet who keep us coming back.  No where else have I experienced so many occurrences of “pass it on”.  “Pass It On” among frequent travelers is the concept that when a stranger needs a favor that you are easily able to provide, you do so.  When the stranger offers compensation you reply, “just pass it on, someday I’ll need help and it will come back to me”. 
More on this concept --- and a shout out to my AFS foreign exchange student alumni friends --  Robert & I have made  a personal commitment to befriend foreign students as we are able.  We aren’t all in a position to host a foreign exchange student in the traditional sense, but we each can be the “host for a moment”.  Robert and I are excited when we meet a foreign student. 
How does that happen?  Notice that person in the airport who appears lost and approach them with, “Can I help you?”  On a previous trip to Alaska we met a young Swiss woman, traveling alone, who was seeking a bus to a hostel.  It was Sunday evening and the city busses didn’t run very frequently.  We engaged her in conversation; I tried to make her feel comfortable; and we offered her a ride.  Having been there and done that, I do believe that the cost of a taxi was beyond her budget.  We drove her to the hostel and I hope that someday she will become “us” and “pass it on”. 
AND – if your family would like to consider hosting a  foreign exchange student, I would be happy to put you in contact with someone who can give you more specific information.
-- Leslie

1 comment:

dreamjosie said...

Nice post. I remember those truck troubles. How nice of the campground owner to remember you so warmly. Hope your weather improves.