Watson Lake Tags RV Park, Watson Lake, YT
We’ve had another wonderful day of animal sightings along the road. Our drive was only 130 miles but we scored two separate black bear and three separate buffalo sightings.
The first bear was on our side of the road.
He was most interested in the yellow wildflowers and didn’t seem to notice us.
Over many more miles we observed signs that buffalo had recently been along the road, but saw no buffalo.
Finally, the buffalo seemed to appear in groups of two or three.
After all the buffalo we’ve seen in Yellowstone National Park over the years, I no longer stop and photograph every single buffalo. However, these beasts are certainly large. You can notice how they are still losing their winter coats.
The high point of the drive was the most cooperative black bear. This bear spent so much time posing for us that you’d wonder if he had pulled the short string and had “entertain the tourists” duty!
He was fairly close to the tree line, but heading toward the road, when we first arrived. I’ve perfected a great photography spot. If I’m not driving, when Robert stops the truck I climb onto the truck bed. From that vantage point, I’m up high and can see the animals in the tall grass better. I can use the roof of the truck to balance the camera.
After enjoying the yellow flowers, bear decided to lay down and watch us. He didn’t appear to rest much. Although he wasn’t eating, his mouth would open and close. Black bears make a huffing sound. Perhaps his mouth was open to vocalize. We were far enough away that I couldn’t hear him make any sounds.
For the next few minutes, he appeared to pose just for my camera.
After awhile he must have become bored because he waltzed off into the woods.
This black bear was clearly the most cooperative bear I’ve ever photographed. Usually they turn away when they become aware of a human.
No comments:
Post a Comment