Sunday, August 10, 2008

Last Few Days in Homer

Leslie Saturday August 9 and Sunday, August 10, 2008

Two more beautiful days in the paradise of Homer. You just couldn’t ask for better weather. The high today was 62, the low is 47.

We spent part of the day looking in various gift shops. We usually don’t buy anything on trips, we prefer to just spend the funds on travel. I was wishing that I had brought a sweatshirt along and I saw someone with a very nice sweatshirt that said, “Homer, Alaska, Just for the Halibut.” I thought it was funny and have been looking for one for several days. No luck. The sole sweatshirt I found was way too big for me.

Here’s another view of the Homer spit shopping district.




We had another great campfire until it got too chilly. A campfire on the beach with the snow covered mountains as a backdrop – how great is that?

We went to the library for internet access and drove a bit out of town to capture pictures of Homer as you come into town from the north. This is the view we had on our way into Homer but we couldn’t stop for pictures because of towing.



And more...



You can see how far the spit extends into the sea.

I was also able to get a picture of the volcano. It erupts every now and then but the prevailing winds are in the other directions so Homer isn’t bothered by ash.




When we came back to our campsite I saw someone flying this pretty kite on the beach. I’ve seen some amazing kites while we’ve been here.



Sunday was another slow day. We spent several hours at the landromat and had a great dinner of halibut fish and chips.

On Monday we leave for Cooper Landing. We’re staying three says at a Princess (cruise ship fame) resort that has an RV park. From the promo materials I understand that RV residents are free to use the resort facilities so this might be interesting. This is the Princess resort where a seasonal worker was attacked by a grizzly bear about a month ago. Apparently it has been so chilly that the salmon are late in coming up the rivers so the grizzlies are hungry...

No comments: