After another day or cold rain, we left Valdez this morning at 10:00 am in the rain with the temperature at 48 degrees. This is seriously chilly. Although the road from Valdez to Glennallen is reported as one of the most scenic in Alaska, the low clouds and rain made any pictures fruitless. As we crossed over the pass, I was able to capture this truck driving beneath the snowplow markers. I wanted to show the perspective of how high the snowplow markers are along this road. You can see the truck barely passing beneath the bent arm of the marker.

On the other side of the pass I did see the Alaska pipeline through the trees.

Eventually we got far enough away from the coast that the clouds broke. We arrived back at our favorite campground, Tolsona Wilderness Campground 16 miles east of Glennallen at mid-afternoon.
Here's our current location.
The woman working the registration desk recognized me as I got out of the truck and said that we should just go ahead to our usual spot. (Gee, it’s nice to be recognized.) As we’ve written before, this spot is on the elbow of a very fast moving stream. There were a few people out trying their luck in fishing. I didn’t see anyone successful.
Last week at Costco we had bought some lamb chops that we had been anticipating grilling (once the rain stopped). Tonight was a great night to grill. Robert grilled the lamb chops and we started a campfire. Perfect campfire weather. The temperature was 52 degrees and quite breezy – no mosquitos! After awhile of sitting by the fire in a hat and gloves, retired to the warmth of our rig. We’ll only stay here two nights because the truck needs to get its 20,000 mile service in Anchorage on Friday.
2 comments:
what, no fish????!--Betsy
Yes, we got back to fish in a few days -- the next run of salmon.
Leslie
Post a Comment