Robert, Friday, May 16
Packed up the trailer and hit the road around 11:00 am. The route from Canmore is northwest about 30 miles through the valley where Banff National Park is located and then south across the mountains to Radium Hot Springs. Radium Hot Springs is noted as a place to go soak in the hot springs. As we drove into town we saw the hot springs off to the side of the highway. Tomorrow we will go give it a try. The campground here is one of the prettiest where we have ever stayed. Our site is in the trees and there is considerable distance between us and our next neighbors. Given that this is a holiday weekend the campground is full but someone said it is full all summer as this is a very popular tourist areas. After we set up, we did a necessary clean-up and fixed a few things that needed fixing. As we have been on the road for a week, we also needed to do laundry.
All the people we have encountered are very friendly. When we left the campground in Canmore, Leslie went into the office to find the location of the post office. While she was inside, a woman walked up to me (sitting in the truck) and started a conversation. She and I talked for 5 minutes and then Leslie came back. All three of us continued to talked for another 10 minutes. After we left, Leslie asked me where I had met the woman (thinking that I had met here somewhere in the campground). I said that I had never seen her before she walked up and started a conversation. And this sort of thing happens time after time. People will just strike up a friendly conversation. What I really enjoy is a manner of speech that we have heard both here but years ago when we visited the Maritime Provinces on the east coast. Canadians will end sentences with "aye?" as in "Lovely day, aye?" or "Town is just about 10 more kilometers, aye?"
3 comments:
G'day Bob & Leslie,
I had to laugh reading your comments on the Canadians ending their sentences with 'aye!' You probably don't remember, but people living in Queensland do the same thing ... anyways, glad to see your on your way
Gary & Julie
Just finished our first read of your travel blog guys... and it's great. The scenery really is breathtaking .. brings back old memories. We followed a very similar route up through the US into Canada and on to Calgary heading back to Vancouver, could even be the same border crossing. Looking forward to the next instalment of your adventure ...
My mother and brother passed through last week on the first leg of their round-Australia trip in their new caravan and 4WD Toyota Troopie ... won't see them again for six to 12 months ... and we're bloody jealous!!!!
Gary & Julie
Gary & Julie
I've also heard the same sentence structure from folks from northern Minnesota and Wisconsin.
Post a Comment