Leslie Friday, May 16, 2008
We made our way from Canmore to Radium Hot Springs. Apparently Radium Hot Springs is a lot like Glenwood Springs in Colorado, natural hot springs that are captured in hot "swimming" pools. The route here was through Banff and Kontenay National Forests. Parts of the road included an 8% grade – that’s impressive when you are towing the weight we are. One of the highlights was a short stretch through a natural tunnel – you feel as if the walls of the tunnel are closing in on you.
http://CarpediemAdventures.smugmug.com/photos/296442046_2wCDD-M.jpg
Signs promised "wildlife on road". Along the main road we saw only a few mule deer and four mountain sheep. Then, after we had entered the town of Radium Spring, there was a herd of mountain sheep hanging out at the roundabout. The first picture was taken through the windshield.
http://CarpediemAdventures.smugmug.com/photos/296441865_q4UBG-M.jpg
We got the stop light so I was able to capture a few more. It appeared as if two sheep were trying to lead the herd back towards the mountains.
http://CarpediemAdventures.smugmug.com/photos/296441942_GmbAA-M.jpg
When we decided to come down to Radium Hot Springs Robert called the only Good Sam affiliated park in the area. (As Good Sam members we get 10% off the daily rate at Good Sam affiliated parks.) When he asked about making a reservation for this weekend, the reservation person just laughed. A bit later she noticed that she had recently had a cancellation so we were able to get a reservation. What we learned later is that this park is always booked solid for the entire summer. We just lucked out, and lucky we were. This is easily the prettiest park we have ever seen - and it has full hook ups. Mountain Shadows Resort and RV Park.
http://CarpediemAdventures.smugmug.com/photos/296442035_kqywE-M.jpg
We’re very happy that we’ll be here for three nights. It is the classic type of campground that we really enjoy. The people are friendly, kids are riding bicycles, and many families have campfires. Because it is the beginning of a holiday weekend and people are just starting out, I was even able to get laundry done in the camp laundry without waiting.
until next time,
2 comments:
An Esso station? That was Exxon until about 1973. Here I thought Exxon was the global brand name.
I'm all caught up. I'll be in New Bern next week. Gorgeous views of the mountains. Nice, friendly critters. How are the flowers? Mom joked you take photos of critters, I take photos of flowers. The further north you get the denser the colors of the blooms--unless you get too far north, of course. Anyhow, get me a few good shots and I'll frame them. Cheers!
katie
Post a Comment